CHILD DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE® CREDENTIAL
Professional Recognition Without a Degree
The nationally recognized Child Development Associate® (CDA) Credential™ offers recognition for valuable knowledge about working with children and helping them reach their full potential. It is often a first step into a career educating young children. Child Care Aware of Minnesota offers several supports for educators pursuing or renewing their CDA®, including training cohorts, advising services, and financial supports.
The Council for Professional Recognition awards the CDA® and is the go-to resource for more information about the CDA® assessment and requirements.
The Minnesota CDA (MNCDA) was designed to provide the core training required for the Child Development Associate® (CDA) Credential™. Cohorts are held face-to-face throughout the state and online through Eager-to-Learn.
What to expect:
- 120 hours of professional development in all eight CDA® subject areas. Trainings incorporate and align with key early childhood education standards, including Minnesota’s Knowledge and Competency Framework and the Minnesota Early Childhood Indicators of Progress.
- Guidance to complete your Professional Portfolio. Participants who complete the homework assignments will have most of their Professional Portfolio materials ready for review upon completion of the MNCDA.
- Support from a Learning Community Coordinator and connections to other early education professionals.
- Prioritized eligibility for CDA® application fee and training reimbursement after completion.
Interested in finding an upcoming MNCDA learning community?
As you prepare to apply for the CDA®, it can be helpful to have additional support completing your Professional Portfolio. Child Care Aware of Minnesota offers free access to a Portfolio Specialist who can help with the following tasks:
- Review the work you have already completed.
- Provide feedback to expand on ideas.
- Answer general questions about portfolio requirements and CDA® requirements.
- Share CDA® resources.
This opportunity is available to CDA® candidates who are not enrolled in an MNCDA learning community through Eager-to-Learn or a Child Care Aware of Minnesota district office. Complete the CDA Portfolio Assistance Request Form to receive up to five hours of support from a Portfolio Specialist at no cost. Space is limited and based upon availability.
CDA® Awards help candidates pay for the required training, application, and renewal of the nationally recognized Child Development Associate® (CDA) Credential™.
To learn more about the financial support available, visit the CDA® Awards page.
No matter where you are in their process of earning or renewing your CDA®, Professional Development Advisors are available to offer support and guidance. Contact your local Professional Development Advisor for one-on-one assistance regarding goal setting, training verification, and more.