Skip to content

CARE FELLOWSHIP

An Advocacy and Public Policy Learning Cohort

The Child Care Advocates Ready to Emerge (CARE) Fellowship brings together a diverse group of passionate and curious participants to improve their advocacy knowledge and skills.

Participants will learn how to use their voices and share their stories to impact change. Fellows will gain a new understanding of the varying levels of advocacy and policy change. From advocacy in your own program to national policy change, participants will walk away empowered to drive change.

The CARE Fellowship is a hybrid learning environment with both in-person and virtual sessions. Fellows will earn 22 Develop approved training hours and a certificate of completion that can be added to their Learning Record.

This program is sponsored by the following partners:

DSC_3708CCAofA My Home Daycare 5.06.19 Barrett (1)
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION

The CARE Fellowship is an opportunity for participants to:

• Understand the early childhood and school-age care ecosystems
  • Connect with other advocates
  • Explore public policy topics
  • Develop confidence in leadership abilities
  • Build advocacy skills
  • Engage with policymakers and experts

Each session will be led by an early childhood and/or school-age care leader and will draw on Minnesota experts to share the latest news, research, and strategies to improve public policy.

Topics include:

• Racial equity in early childhood
  • Minnesota legislative process
  • Historical context for today’s early care and education system
  • Early childhood as a social justice issue
  • Using personal stories for advocacy
  • Effective legislative meetings
  • Building power from the local to federal level
  • Advocating on social media
  • Emerging educational policy issues
  • Self-care and sustainable advocacy
REQUIRED COMMITMENT
  • Attend all monthly meetings (generally 6-8 hours each)
    • Friday, October 6, 2023 (in person, location TBD)
    • Friday, November 10, 2023 (virtual)
    • Friday, December 8, 2023 (in person at the State Capitol)
    • Friday, January 12, 2024 (virtual)
    • Friday, February 9, 2024 (virtual or in person, location TBD)
    • Wednesday, March 6, 2024 (in person at the State Capitol)
    • Friday, April 12, 2024 (virtual)
    • Friday, May 10, 2024 (in person, location TBD)
    • Friday, June 7, 2024 (in person, location TBD)
  • Complete the 4 hours of self-paced pre-work of online modules
APPLICATION PROCESS

Applications are due by midnight on Friday, August 4, 2023.

Applicants will be notified of their acceptance by September 6, 2023.

Apply now.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

When is the application deadline?

Applications are due by midnight on Friday, August 4, 2023.

Applicants will be notified of their acceptance by September 6, 2023.

What is the time commitment?

The CARE Fellowship requires participants to make a significant time commitment. Fellows meet as a group one day per month for six to eight hours between October 2023 and June 2024. Participants should also expect an additional four hours of work prior to the first session and one to two hours of work each month, including completion of a policy project at the end of the fellowship.

How many applicants are accepted?

We will be accepting 20-25 fellows. Fellows will be announced by September 6, 2023.

Is the CARE Fellowship Approved in Develop?

A fellow can earn up to 20 Develop-approved hours by completing self-paced online modules. A fellow will receive a certificate of completion that can be recorded on their Develop Learning Record. If applicable, please indicate your Develop ID number on your application.

HISTORY

In 2006, the Katie Williams Child Care Advocates Ready to Emerge (CARE) Fellowship was created by Child Care WORKS in honor of longtime children's advocate Katie L. Williams.

Beginning in 2013, a collaborative of child care and early learning organizations came together to continue the legacy of the CARE Fellows: Child Care Aware of Minnesota, Minnesota Association for the Education of Young Children–Minnesota School-Age Care Alliance (MnAEYC-MnSACA), Minnesota Child Care Association (MCCA), and Think Small.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2019-2020 cohort met virtually for the last half of the Fellowship, and there was no cohort for 2020-2021. In 2021, Child Care Aware of Minnesota received a multi-year grant from the Hopkins Early Learning Center to support the fellowship. Hopkins Early Learning Center (HELC) had to cease operation at the end of 2020. However, through the leadership of its Executive Director and former CARE fellow Jamie Bonczyk, a portion of its assets have been donated to sustain and expand the CARE Fellowship.

Nearly 300 individuals from throughout Minnesota have graduated from the CARE Fellowship since 2006.

TESTIMONIALS

"Talking to legislators, going to committee hearings, and testifying on a bill were all things I never saw myself doing, even though I had an interest in them. I'm proud of how far I've come because of pushing myself to sign up for this Fellowship and challenging myself to step out of my comfort zone."

"When I first heard about the CARE Fellowship, I didn’t know what to expect. I have never been overly interested in politics, and words like 'policy,' 'legislature' and 'session' used to fly right over my head. However, when the opportunity to apply for the program arose, I didn’t hear any of those words. I heard 'leadership,' 'community,' 'passion' and 'dedication to early childhood.' Now those are things I know! Being a part of the CARE Fellowship has broadened my perspective and helped me understand the different avenues of early childhood. Learning that there are so many people and organizations who are all gathered around a common goal has been enlightening in so many ways. Then to come together as a united front to make a real difference towards that goal has been one of the most empowering experiences of my career."

"I was not sure at the beginning if this would be something for me. I am SO glad that I stuck it out. The experience has inspired growth and the continuous building of a wonderful network of people."

"Thank you so much for this amazing experience! It has changed my life and provided great direction for me in my interest of policy and advocacy!"