Save the Date for 2020!
The Trainer and RBPD Summit offers professional development opportunities for trainers, RBPD specialists, and leaders in the early childhood field to gain new, relevant information and to network with their peers. It is our goal to provide a variety of topics and unique presentation ideas for trainers, leaders, and RBPD specialists in Minnesota.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s Summit will be held virtually. All sessions will be held over the course of four weeks, from September 18 through October 18, 2020. There will also be recorded pre-conference sessions to take advantage of the week prior.
Request for Proposals is Now Open
This year, the theme for the Summit is Daring to Grow. This can mean being open to change and doing things a different way or going back to the basics and seeing opportunities to improve skills we wish we had time to work on. We are looking for proposals that not only meet professional development needs, but also motivate and encourage participants in “daring to grow” as professionals in the early childhood field.
We will have three tracks: trainers, RBPD specialists, and directors. As always, please use a diversity, equity and inclusion lens. Look at language you use. For example, the definition of words like “appropriate” or “acceptable” vary by culture.
Topic Ideas for Trainers
- How to market yourself as a trainer
- Overcoming barriers to effective training
- Effective participant involvement
- Increasing confidence as a trainer
- Building your trainer business
- Addressing a variety of behaviors or group dynamics during a training
- Creating engaging and measurable learning activities
- Using technology, PowerPoints, etc.
Topic Ideas for RBPD Specialists
- Being pulled in many directions/wanting to fix everything
- When we feel like good enough is not good enough
- Creating a climate that promotes learning and inquiry
- Establishing and maintaining relationships
- Going deeper on skills related to the coaching cycle: planning/setting goals, observation, feedback
- Being and staying organized
- Seeing our own strengths and the strengths of others
- The power in learning from what does not work
- Working with courage, compassion, and connection
- Facilitating effective group coaching sessions or professional learning communities
- Assessing coach effectiveness
- Observation, feedback and evaluation strategies
- Goal setting
Topic Ideas for Directors
- Putting on my coaching hat as a director
- Coaching versus supervising
- Intersection of licensing and quality
- What is quality?
- Switching the mindset to challenging behaviors for adults
- Reflection for directors
- Engaging you and your team with social policy and change agents
- Creating a culture of reciprocal encouragement
- 1.5-hours sessions: $350*
- 1-hour sessions: $250*
*For the virtual Summit, sessions will be 1.5 hours or 1 hour in length. There will no longer be a 2-hour session option.
We hope to have technology which will allow us to facilitate conversations around a particular topic, must like our Table Talks in past years. If you are interested in being a room host, please contact Elsa Carlson.
Applications for submission will be open until May 31. Notifications of acceptance will be sent out within two weeks of the deadline.
Email Elsa Carlson with any questions.
The Daring Way!
Presented by Ann Dillard
Ann Dillard is the founder of KIPP Consulting Services, and is passionate about instilling hope and empowering individuals and families to live their best lives. She is also a credentialed trainer through the Minnesota Center for Professional Development and has served as an online instructor for Eager-to-Learn for over 15 years. Ann holds a master’s in Marriage and Family Therapy from Argosy University and a bachelor’s in Business Operations from DeVry University. She is also trained in foster care and adoption competency and is a certified Daring Way facilitator through Dr. Brene Brown’s organization.
"I was so thrilled to get to attend and present at the Summit this year! I love this event so much! Most rewarding opportunity ever! Thank you for all your work on this, Elsa Carlson and Matt Evans!" - Raelene O.
"It's the most wonderful time of the year!" - Christy B.
"The Summit was amazing again! Bravo to the committee! Loved getting some fresh air by the lake during lunch! Thanks for adding this pause for us." - Karlene D.
"I had such a wonderful time talking to other trainers, hearing more about the coaching side of things, and learning in the sessions. Thank you to everyone who attended, and especially those who helped me grow as a trainer, an early childhood educator, and as a person." - Jen R.