Telephone Interviews with Child Care Providers
Here are some questions to ask over the phone:
- Is there an opening at the time I will need child care?
- Is there a waiting list for care in the future?
- How many children do you care for?
- What are their ages (including the provider’s own children)?
Licensed programs must stay within state rules for the number of children in care at any one time, based on the child’s age, adult/child ratios, and space available.
- What experience do you have in providing child care?
- What hours/days are you open? Can you be flexible?
- Do you provide transportation? To which schools/activities?
- Is there an additional fee?
- Is your program smoke-free 24-hours-a-day?
- Are there any pets in the program?
- What meals and snacks are provided?
- Are they included in your fee?
- What are your rates?
- What is the payment policy for holidays, vacation and sick days?
- When is a good time to visit your program and arrange an interview?
Schedule a time when you would have an opportunity for uninterrupted conversation. Visit again when the children are present.
- Professionals & Caregivers